One week…(and a day) Post-Op


For a few years now, I have been wanting to look into having a breast reduction. I’ve had 3 children and let’s just say that motherhood did a number on me! From producing 8 oz of milk from each breast with my first child and sharing that same faucet with my 2nd and 3rd child to… GRAVITY, these girls were defeated! lol I went from being a large C/small D cup to a stuttering D cup. Yep, triple D’s! D-D-DAMN!

My deflated breasts didn’t bother me much in the beginning, but who really has time to consider such vanities when you’re running around 3 kids all day? Truthfully, my breasts were last in line when it came to areas of my body that I was unhappy with. A stomach that still continued to move after my feet had come to a complete halt, a chin that decided it needed a partner in crime and dimples that seemed to be misplaced were first on the list of things I no longer like about my body. The only time my breasts really bothered me was when:

  • they were the major difference between a dress or top size
  • I was jogging/running and feared getting a black eye
  • I had to assist in a job well done (let it marinate)
  • I had to pull out my card to pay for the bras that supported them ($40-$70/ each)

They were a lot, but along with the other changed parts of my body, I learned to love and respect them. My entire body told my story. We love people and we do so accepting the not so glamorous parts of them. Well, I learned to extend that same courtesy to myself. So, why get a breast reduction?

I chose to get a breast reduction because I hated the deep indentations on my shoulders from having to hold up two bowling balls everyday. I didn’t like that I had to constantly catch and correct a slouch in my back because that extra weight up top encouraged bad posture. After being in an accident about a year and a half ago, they didn’t exactly help aide the back injuries I had. I missed the days when wearing a bra was optional! Lastly, my insurance covered it, so why not?

PCP’s specialist referral… check! 

Consult… check!

Surgeon’s referral to perform procedure… Check!

Insurance approval… check!

Mom’s flight… check!

Pre-op appt…check!

The days leading up to my surgery I was filled with angst. It would be my first surgery and I could only think of what could go wrong. Particularly, what if I don’t wake up? What if I wake up during surgery? What if my blood pressure goes up? “What if’s” flooded my mind and almost almost me reconsider, but HELLLOOOOO, God isn’t through with me yet!


I woke up at 5:15 am to take my last of the two CHG showers I was instructed to take. The purpose of the showers are to basically strip your body of as many germs as possible before surgery to prevent potential infection. I got dressed in my loose clothes and we were on our way. We arrived and checked in for surgery. As we sat in the waiting room, I felt my anxiety peek, but laughter cures all. Before long, they called my name and it was time for surgery.  In comes the nurse who preps me, followed by my surgeon who takes out his handy dandy marker and doodles all over my breasts and last but not least, then anesthesiologist comes in to administer the “cocktail” I requested for my anxiety. Some cocktail! Listen. I couldn’t tell you anything that happened after that other than I woke up with a bandaged chest and a nurse along with my mom looking at me. That’s all I got!

I didn’t wake up in pain. I think the morphine running through my iv did a great job at keeping me comfortable… and asleep. My chest was bandaged and covered in a wrap and 2 small tubes connected to bulbs which allowed extra fluids to drain from my breasts. The tubes were on each of my sides. They were not connected directly to my breasts. These tubes will remain there until my first post-op appointment scheduled 10 days after my surgery. I stayed in and out of sleep the entire day and night with the exception of being awakened by the nurses to take my vitals or administer antibiotics or morphine through my iv. My nurses must have missed a dose of pain medication, because at 3:30 a.m. I woke up in quite a bit of pain. Let me say that the pain I experienced wasn’t so much from my breasts. It was from the tubes.

At 6 am that morning, my surgeon came in to unwrap my breasts, redress them and place me into a medical bra. It was my first look at my new girls! What a difference! The first thing I noticed was that he trimmed my areola down. I was wondering how my larger areola areas would look on my new smaller set of breasts. Thanks doc! I was scared of what I would see when I took that first look but I was pleasantly surprised. I guess I expected to see a lot of bruising, stitches and blood I guess. There was zero bruising, there was stitches of course, but I couldn’t see any of it and there was very minimum blood. My doctor instructed me that the following day I could take a shower and that bra that he’d just placed on me would be completely optional at that point. We were taught how to empty and chart my drains. I discharged around 10 am and headed home. After my mom stopped to pick us up Keke’s Breakfast  of course! The ride home was pretty bumpy and I was quickly reminded that I needed to take my pain meds.

Week 1

I rested, rested and rested some more. It’s really all I could do. I walked around as needed, but I stayed in the bed for about 85% of the week. On day 3 after the surgery, after walking around a bit too much down stairs and returning upstairs to try and shower I found myself very light headed. It was at that point that I was reminded that I’d just had about a 3hr 45 minute surgery two days prior and I sat my tail down. I got up only to use the restroom and shower for the most part. When I felt cabin fever setting in, I’d make my way down stairs for a bit and return shortly after.

How would I describe my first week after surgery?

Pain was really at a minimum but discomfort was at a high. The tubes are quite aggravating and make it difficult to find comfort. Once I found a comfortable spot, I stayed in that place until I had to move or re-adjust. I slept propped up on my back every night. The percocet caused me to itch really bad, so I had to also take benadryl with it. Yesterday, I attempted to drive my kids to school and I am paying for it today. My arms and chest area feels as if I did 10 sets of 10 pushups back to back. Needless to say, I won’t be driving for awhile.  I catch myself looking down my shirt a lot checking my new “rack” out. I wanted to end up with a size c cup breasts and I think that’s about what I have. When having a breast reduction, they augment according to your body proportions, so you never really know what size you’ll end up with until after surgery. Even then, your final results won’t really come until about 6-8 months down the line when everything has settled. I feel much lighter and immediately felt the difference when sitting. I currently have no sensation in my right nipple but my left if hypersensitive. Losing sensation was a large concern for me as that is one of the risks attached to this type of surgery.. I’m hoping that the sensation returns completely, but if it doesn’t, I’m thankful to have any at all. Everyday they feel less swollen and softer. My incisions seem to be healing just fine as well. I have my follow-up appointment this coming Thursday, so hopefully all goes well!

I will continue to update you all on my progress. I will also be working on a video for my 3 or 6 month post op update which will include plenty of photos and… ME! I’ll talk specifically about my progress and any questions that may have been asked as of that point.  So feel free to ask questions!

Special thanks to my mom for spending a week with me to help during my recovery! I love you and I appreciate you!



3 Comments Add yours

  1. Gloria says:

    Thank you for sharing. Another family member began the breast reduction process but it came to an abrupt halt once the insurance approved the procedure. Even though the surgeon took the time to explain the procedure and address all concerns I had mixed feelings from the beginning. However, after reading about your experience I’m a little more relaxed. I’m going to share your experience with her. Thank you for sharing.


    1. She by Ebony says:

      Hey Cous! Not a problem and thank you! I feel better already. 😍


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s